Rapid Palatal Expander Instructions
What to do:
- The Doctor has instructed you to turn the expander ______times per day for the next _________days.
- Always have floss connected to the key AND YOUR WRIST while performing the turns.
- Place the key in the hole closest to the front teeth. Push the key back towards the throat until a new hole appears at the front.
- If you cannot find the hole, have your child brush the expander with a toothbrush to remove debris. If you still can’t find it, you may not have completed your previous turn. Complete the turn at the back of the mouth and the new hole will appear at the front.
- Take Advil or Tylenol regularly for the next few days because there may be some pressure as the expander begins to work.
- Brush the roof of your mouth every time you eat to keep the appliance clean.
- Do NOT get frustrated! If you cannot complete a turn, call our office and we will help.
What you may feel:
- You may feel like you have pressure in your sinuses.
- The roof of your mouth may feel “itchy” as it stretches.
- Your body will make extra saliva for a few days so your speech may sound “wet”.
- Your tongue may feel thick as you learn to talk with your appliance. The more you talk the better you will sound.